Electrics|August 10, 2012 11:54 am

What fuse do I need?

One of the most common problems our electricians find when troubleshooting faulty appliances is blown fuses. With a standard appliance fuse, there is no direct indication that it’s blown – apart from the appliance not working. So the first thing to do if an appliance breaks is check if it’s the fuse by replacing it with a new one.

But what fuses are suitable to what kind of appliances?

Well, fuses are measured in amps and you need to match this to the appliance. On most appliances it’ll be written on the plug, however here is a break down of the typical ratings:


Typically used on appliances up to 700w. These include table lamps, televisions, radios, computers, fridges and more.


Typically used on appliances between 700 – 1200w such as lower wattage kettles and irons.


Typically used in appliances over 1200w. These include heaters, irons, kettles, dishwashers, washing machines and more. If there is any heating element to the appliance, it may need a 13A fuse.

The fuse will fit into the appliance’s plug. It’s a very easy job to replace a fuse. All you need is a screwdriver!

To replace a fuse simply do the following:

  1. Open up the plug with your screwdriver, making sure the connections are still in fact.
  2. Pull out the fuse
  3. Replace the old fuse with the new one, making sure the amp ratings are the same
  4. Screw the plug back together and you’re done!

You can read our full guide on wiring a plug here.

  • Share this post:
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • Digg